WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
PROMOTES GOOD POSTURE AND REDUCES BACK PAIN
STRENGTHENS YOUR PELVIC FLOOR MUSCLES
STRENGTHENS YOUR GLUTES
IMPROVES YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL WELLBEING AND HELP YOU COPE WITH THE CHANGES IN YOUR BODY
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE STARTING PILATES:
If you are pregnant and considering taking up Pilates, it is important to be aware that many Pilates exercises are no longer appropriate for you. For this reason, it is important that you either attend a specific pre-natal Pilates class or if it is a general group class, make sure that the instructor is qualified to train pre and post natal women and can alter exercises accordingly, depending on your stage of pregnancy. It is also important to gain a medical clearance to exercise before you start!
Below are a few tips if you are thinking about taking up Pilates during pregnancy:
- Drink plenty of water and eat 1-1.5 hours before a class
- Shift positions frequently when exercising
- Get into and out of exercises slowly
- Pay attention to your body and the baby
- Gradually increase your exercise program or the number of classes you attend if you were previously sedentary
- Always stop if you feel any pain
- Make sure you don’t over stretch as you already have relaxin running through your body
If you are pregnant and considering Pilates or if you are already doing Pilates, I hope you found this useful! Remember to always go with what feels right for you and make sure you speak to your instructor regularly and let them know how you’re feeling.
To make an enquiry about the classes we offer at Duo Pilates, click here and leave me a message! I will get back to you ASAP!